Review Date: June 28th, 2012
Maya’s family has just moved from Idaho to Spores Ferry, Oregon. She’s nervous about starting middle school and making new friends, but soon that’s the last thing on her mind. First a fairy flies into her room. Then she finds out that the kids who live next door in the Janus House apartments have special powers. In fact, everyone who lives in Janus House has them.
It’s the most amazing thing that’s ever happened to Maya, but she can’t tell anyone, not even her family — especially not when she winds up with some magic of her own.
If you’ve ever wondered what it’s like to travel to other worlds, all you have to so is cross the threshold…
Fun, fantastical, and otherworldly, this was a very imaginative, entertaining story of magic and friendship.
It was Maya’s second week in the new house.
- How strange grief had been, ambushing her at random moments.
- Everything’s different, and no one noticed.
- The smells still scraped against her nose and throat.
- She felt remote, her emotions calmed, packed up and put away. In the back of her mind, something was upset, but its alarm was soft and ignorable. She took a deep breath and let it out slowly. Okay. She could get through this. She could go crazy later.
- She was setting changes in motion, and she didn’t know where they would lead.
- The freckles across his nose and cheeks looked like dark stars in a white sky.
- The flow of line from her brain through her hand and out the end of the pencil calmed her.
Find this review helpful?
Clicking an affiliate link below helps to support our site and continue to bring you quality reviews! Learn More